Tathagata Meditation Center offers Self-Retreat opportunitties to experienced yogis who have practiced many 30-day retreats at TMC and who have the discipline to adhere to the daily schedule without close supervision from the meditation teacher.
To be granted a permission to conduct a self retreat at TMC the yogi must meet the following conditions:
- Practice Vipassana meditation solely and follow strickly the daily practice schedule from 5am to 10 pm
- Have Vipassana meditation experience according to the Mahasi tradition as expounded by Sayadawgyi U Panditabhivama
- Obtain approval from the TMC's Abbot and TMC Executive Director or Chairman
- Be able to communicate in English
- Have good health
- Arrange or prepare own food
- Report to the abbot about the practice periodically as determined by the Abbot
- Keep noble silence (talk only if necessary) at all time
- Observe the maximum time limit (one week) of staying. For extension the yogi must re-apply as in item 3 above and not to exceed one month in total.
- Fill out a self retreat registration application
- Termination: The Executive Officer could terminate the yogi's self retreat at anytime if deemed not beneficial to both yogi and the center